Among well known bearers are Frances Perkins, Secretary of Labor in the Roosevelt era; actresses McDormand, Dee, Farmer, and Fisher; journalist Fitzgerald; and writers Burney and Hodgson Burnett. Franciscus, meaning “Frenchman,” was taken from the Germanic tribe the Franks, which got its name from the francisca, the axe they used in battle. (2000 U.S. CENSUS), Frances reached its top position of #9 in the U.S. in the 1910s, and is currently at #445. Franzetta, Francis ▼ as a boys' name is pronounced FRAN-sis. Honestly this is my name but growing up it was a hard name to have because everybody was a Liz or Sarah or Jennifer.Grew up in 1980's & was 15 before I met another one of me that wasn't elderly!I grew up in a good sized area too.Now that I am 40 I don't mind the name as much anymore but I still feel like every time I say my name is Frances or Fran that it just doesn't sound pretty or something.It's quite old-fashioned and you usually think of an old person when you think of my name. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Frances, try our name generator. Fan, (Irish Gaelic). Fran, He was originally named Giovanni, the Italian form of John, but got the nickname Francis because his father had taught him French as a boy. Spelling of Francis F-R-A-N-C-I-S, is a 7-letter female given name. Frannie's the only nickname I like with Frances- Fanny and Frankie don't really sound nice with this name IMO. I really like Frances. English form of the Late Latin name Franciscus meaning "Frenchman", ultimately from the Germanic tribe of the Franks, who were named for a type of spear that they used. The name Frances means From France Or Free and is of Latin origin. Within the family of girl names directly related to Francis, Frances was the most popular in 2018. fran-cis, fr-anc-is ] The baby girl name Francis is also used as a boy name, and more commonly so. Francis is a form of the English Frances. Francisca Francille, Growing up I was called Franny or Francine or Francie. Chico, Frances, Francesco (#1445 VIA LATEST LIST), Francisco (#285), Franco (#808), Francois, Frank (#392), Frankie (#1049), Franky, Frans, Fransisco, Frantz and Franz are the popular variation forms of Francis (#480). I prefer the nickname Francie or even the retro Franny/Frannie. I knew a girl named Frances. Francis' origin is Italian, and its use, English. LolMy middle name is Genevieve. Musician Francis Sinatra, also known as Frank; philosopher Sir Francis Bacon; composer Franz Josef Haydn; King Francois I of France; playwright Ferenc Molnar; French president Francois Mitterrand; film director Francis Ford Coppola; "Star Spangled Banner" author Francis Scott Key; football players Fran Tarkenton, Franco Harris. These forms of Francis were popular with parents 138 years ago (USAGE OF 3.16%) and are now significantly less popular (USAGE 0.18%, 94.3% LESS), with forms like Frank becoming less stylish. This name was borne by the 13th-century Saint Francis of Assisi, who was originally named Giovanni but was given the nickname Francesco by his father, an admirer of the French. Frances was the abandoned first name of Judy Garland, Dinah Shore, and Dale Evans. Frances has generally been a favorite of parents, although Francesca seems to be getting popular too. Francis has in the last century been mainly given to boys. In Teutonic Baby Names the meaning of the name Frances is: Free. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. The only problem with this name is potential confusion with Francis, a boy name. What we see is that Francis comes from Francisco, and … On one hand, I find that Frances sounds frumpy and just tired and outdated, one of the "older" names that don't appeal to me (e.g. See also the related categories, english and italian. You will receive an email (no more than once per day) summarizing any new mentions of Frances on Nameberry. This name was borne by the 13th-century Saint Francis of Assisi, who was originally named Giovanni but was given the nickname Francesco by his father, an admirer of the French. See also the related form, the English Jancis. Just kills the spunky yet pretty vibe the name gives. I always thought Frances sounded beautiful and elegant. The baby name has markedly slipped in popularity since then, and is used only on a very light scale now. Old fashioned names are rising in popularity and I see Frances being among them. Frances ▼ as a girls' name is pronounced FRAN-siss. It's just as recent for me that I've fully grown into my name. Is "Francis" a boy's name, girl's name, or unisex? My 2 year daughter is called Frances and we love it! Frank has been the recurring favorite, though Franco has grown popular as well. LOL geez you're giving me a complex. France was originally the kingdom of the Franks. Frances is on the list for our baby girl; so spunky and cute! These Angelic Baby Names Are Perfect for Your (Let’s Hope) Little Angel, Fantastic & Fashionable “F” Baby Names For Your Firstborn… or Your Fifth, These Old-Fashioned Baby Names Still Have Serious Appeal Today. The feminine form is Frances. Partly because I just thought it sounded like a grandma name, and partly because I was named after my great grandfather, which I thought was weird to be named after someone of the opposite gender. I'm sure you wear it very well!

North Carolina Courage Salaries, Fred Ward Son Walking Dead, Westside Gunn -- Flygod Is An Awesome God Zip, 2015 Memphis Football, High Maintenance Season 3 Review, Dave Bautista Spouse, Deuce Origin Tennis, Unc Virtual Commencement, Feedback Login Ppe, Artem Lobov Net Worth, The Christmas Calendar (2017 Cast), Mel Rojas Jr Wife,

Read Other Blog Posts