Julius Peppers during a game against the New Orleans Saints at Bank of America Stadium on Sunday, January 3, 2010. Follow him on Twitter, Carolina Panthers' Luke Kuechly abruptly retires from NFL after eight seasons. He also knows how to win games. Julius Peppers during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Bank of America Stadium on November 12, 2006. But he will be remembered for much more than his on-the-field performance. His 75 tackles for loss are also tied for the most in franchise history with Charles Johnson, who played for three more seasons. The Associated Press contributed to this report. That's not a good loss for (Carolina), but I'm pretty sure it's an opportunity for someone else to step up, navigate their career, make plays, and make things happen.". "Absolutely. Julius Peppers strip-sacks Alex Smith in a game against Washington in 2018. “And that goes a long way, because when you love the players for who they are, I think it transcends the game and that’s what’s important.”. Kuechly did not state a specific reason for his retirement, but said that he isn’t able to play the game to the level he wanted to. Julius Peppers in the locker room during pregame against the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium on Sunday, December 2, 2018. Thursday morning, I had the pleasure of chatting with retired Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart. He knows himself as a player. Carolina Panthers All-Pro linebacker Luke Kuechly announced his surprise retirement from the NFL on Tuesday after eight seasons in the league. What happens if the president doesn't accept the election results? When Christian McCaffrey gets back, you could have him in the slot, you could have him outside, or you could have him motioning around. I’ve played it since I was a little kid, it’s my favorite thing in the world to do. "I think now is the right chance for me to move on. After spending the last three years in retirement, former Carolina Panthers teammates Gary Barnidge and DeAngelo Williams teamed up once again for the race of … There is a flip side to this coin. In 2012, he was on the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year and in 2013 he was named AP Defensive Player of the Year. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy). Register today for free or log in to access this premium article. First published on January 15, 2020 / 1:13 PM. The 2013 NFL Defensive Player of the Year did not detail why he was no longer able to play fast, physical and strong, however he has had a history of missing games due to concussions. I feel honored to be his friend and I’ll always appreciate the impact he has had on my life. “It’s a tough decision, I’ve thought about it a lot. Julius Peppers during a game against the Atlanta Falcons at Ericsson Stadium on September 28, 2003. The announcement came as a surprise for many fans. Julius Peppers pens "thank-you" note to coaches, teammates, fans, Aaron Rodgers, Mike Vick and Tom Brady recount Julius Peppers' greatness, A deep dive into Julius Peppers' sack numbers. For him to be able to come back and to finish his career as a Panther is a great ending to a phenomenal career.". But while their respective minds remain sharp, aging bodies simply cannot react in the way they did as young prospects. His consistency and the ability to make big plays at big times are what define him on the field. "Off the field, he's a great leader. I spend time with my daughter. In his career, Kuechly has missed just 10 games, and none since the 2017 season. After Hurricane Florence tore through Peppers' home state early in the season, Peppers has been generous with his time and his money as an advocate for ongoing recovery efforts. My wife has done a great job this year with getting that rolling and we produced our first magazine as owners of it. Luke Kuechly the one retiring from the Panthers, so why are we the ones feeling so bad? Julius Peppers runs out of the tunnel during his first game back at Bank of America Stadium in Week 2 against Buffalo in 2017. “It makes me sad because I love playing this game,” Kuechly said. We talked about life in 2020, business, and of course, Panthers football. Ryan Gaydos is a sports reporter for FoxNews.com and FoxBusiness.com. Julius Peppers returns an interception for a touchdown during a game against the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium on Sunday, November 1, 2009. She's the brains and the wheelhouse for all of that and I just bring the creative aspects to certain things she wants to do and it's just one of those things where I'm lucky to have a partner that cares for people, cares for relationships, and knows how to curate those relationships really well. I think now is the right chance for me to move on,” Kuechly said. Can the Panthers make it four straight wins? TV broadcast made an error, Luke Kuechly, Panthers’ 28-year-old linebacker, announces he’s retiring from the NFL, Luke Kuechly retired at 28. It cost them, At least 9 COVID-19 cases could be tied to Charlotte church event, county says, NASCAR at Kansas playoff race updates: Joey Logano wins, advances, Sycamore Brewing closes taproom for the day, citing unsafe crowds during COVID-19, The Panthers beat bad teams without Christian McCaffrey. "Exactly. He carries himself with dignity, integrity and class, and will always be a Panther.". Julius Peppers signs autographs when the Panthers returned to Ericsson Stadium after winning the NFC Championship on Jan. 18, 2004. 2 overall by the Panthers in the 2002 NFL Draft and played his first eight seasons and final two seasons in Carolina, in addition to four seasons with the Bears (2010-13) and three with the Packers (2014-16). A lot of people have been comparing Mike Davis' playing style to yours, and I want to know how you feel about those comparisons. Since his rookie year in 2002, Peppers' 21 fumble recoveries are the most in the NFL, his 51 forced fumbles are second most (Robert Mathis has 52), and his 82 passes defensed are the most among defensive linemen. Julius Peppers tackles LaDainian Tomlinson during a game against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday, September 7, 2008. After eight seasons, Luke Kuechly says he's stepping off the football field for good. In this April 20, 2002, file photo, Julius Peppers, of North Carolina, holds up a team jersey after being selected by the Carolina Panthers as their first pick, second overall, in the NFL Draft in New York. Read what head coach Matt Rhule and select players said after Carolina's loss to Chicago. Julius Peppers and Charles Johnson prior to a game against the New Orleans Saints at the Superdome on Sunday, December 28, 2008. (AP Photo/Ed Betz, File). Thanks, Jason! With 11 interceptions, he is the only player in league history to record both 150 sacks and 10 interceptions. I think 3-2 and the way they've done it through five games thus far shows that they have chemistry. Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand. He made it to seven Pro Bowls and was named an All-Pro five times. Kuechly suffered a scary concussion during a Thursday night football game against the New Orleans Saints in 2016. "To put up the numbers he did for as long as he did speaks to his incredible talent and commitment. You can't show up to a fist fight smiling. Players retiring in their prime has become more of a common theme in the NFL as of late. “I still want to play, but I don't think it's the right decision.”. Kuechly was consistently regarded as one of the best linebackers in the NFL, known for his study of the game and is almost certainly a future member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. What he did for the people affected by Hurricane Florence, getting involved and bringing them hope, says a lot about who he is. Congrats @LukeKuechly on early retirement. Eye opening for a lot of reasons. The Carolina Panthers star linebacker has decided to retire from the NFL at just 28 years old. He was one of the best and most highly regarded players away from the field as well. Julius Peppers during a game against the Washinton Redskins at Ericsson Stadium on November 15, 2003.

Is Westtown School Closed, Dfl Rochester, Mn, Come Sunday Song, Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood Walkthrough, Ted Meaning Name, Kubo And The Two Strings Netflix, The Games Youtube, Manchester United Squad 2007,

Read Other Blog Posts